a public holiday: sprain, strain, drain and remain
2 Comments Published by rizumu on Friday, May 02, 2008 at 9:29 AM.
I'm very appreciative of public holidays now, since it was labour day yesterday. The first perk, waking up at lunch time, second perk, having family lunch together and conversing and munching all the way. The third which was probably one of the highlights of my day was badminton.
I didn't realize how much I miss my Thursday sessions to be honest. Most of my work schedules off late have been stretching most of my hours till late, and also the fact that the hours are erratic at most. To be fair, I probably can't compare to the folks in the advertising industry or probably magazine writers who cover events after and are expected to churn out hot from the oven event releases with a sting. But to each his own and understanding boundary of each industry I guess, and there are the hedge fund guys and investment bankers and then there's the other extreme of sales which flexi hours are incredible.
And I always question the quality of life that I would want. Or would like to achieve perhaps? I'm most comfortable and at ease with quality fellowship really be it at work or otherwise. But badminton was really good. I enjoyed my game thoroughly. Z, you should have been there. And most importantly, I enjoyed my time with the young and old. well, one young and a few old. The fun was always at dinner, and we ate lots and I enjoyed seeing that. I was rather quiet for most of the night because I just realize how much I miss the fellowship. I just wanted to absorb the time spent with them.
The price? A sprain on the right foot, a potent strain on the shoulder, thoroughly drained from the game but this will remain - community friendship. And that's priceless.
This Sunday, I look forward to our first Footstool Players meeting at my place. Again, my mind has been jogging very much looking at old pictures, reading blog entries and being all nostalgic about it. Even more when, the theme this year is extremely close to my heart and most of my writings and conversations have somewhat put a point of reference in it. As always, I always remind myself before I start pointing, I should look in the mirror and reflect first.
On an entirely separate note, i have been scribbling a lot about this:-
creative thinking + critical thinking = ??
creative thinking + critical thinking = creatical
On a more interesting finding for myself,
did you know that Adiddas was formed by two brothers? Adi and Rudolf Dassler if I'm not wrong, and the combination of their names formed Adidas. After WW2, Rudolf separated itself from Adiddas to formed its own shoe company and wanted to name it "Ruda", and that obviously didn't sound coo. So, do you know what it was called instead? Puma. Yup, that's right....Puma and Adidas today are related, a rivalry that led to great lifestyle shoe making :) And here's another interesting note for you, during the 1969 Olympics, athelese were not allowed to receive endorsement money as a law set up by the committee. Insted, respective agents would leave envelopes witha few hundred dollars in the toilet for the athletes to pick up. Adidas won obviously because they had deeper pockets.
This little fact for me was found in the pages of Fortune magazine reviewing a new book out - Sneaker Wars. Sounds like a good read,eh? ;-)
I didn't realize how much I miss my Thursday sessions to be honest. Most of my work schedules off late have been stretching most of my hours till late, and also the fact that the hours are erratic at most. To be fair, I probably can't compare to the folks in the advertising industry or probably magazine writers who cover events after and are expected to churn out hot from the oven event releases with a sting. But to each his own and understanding boundary of each industry I guess, and there are the hedge fund guys and investment bankers and then there's the other extreme of sales which flexi hours are incredible.
And I always question the quality of life that I would want. Or would like to achieve perhaps? I'm most comfortable and at ease with quality fellowship really be it at work or otherwise. But badminton was really good. I enjoyed my game thoroughly. Z, you should have been there. And most importantly, I enjoyed my time with the young and old. well, one young and a few old. The fun was always at dinner, and we ate lots and I enjoyed seeing that. I was rather quiet for most of the night because I just realize how much I miss the fellowship. I just wanted to absorb the time spent with them.
The price? A sprain on the right foot, a potent strain on the shoulder, thoroughly drained from the game but this will remain - community friendship. And that's priceless.
This Sunday, I look forward to our first Footstool Players meeting at my place. Again, my mind has been jogging very much looking at old pictures, reading blog entries and being all nostalgic about it. Even more when, the theme this year is extremely close to my heart and most of my writings and conversations have somewhat put a point of reference in it. As always, I always remind myself before I start pointing, I should look in the mirror and reflect first.
On an entirely separate note, i have been scribbling a lot about this:-
creative thinking + critical thinking = ??
creative thinking + critical thinking = creatical
On a more interesting finding for myself,
did you know that Adiddas was formed by two brothers? Adi and Rudolf Dassler if I'm not wrong, and the combination of their names formed Adidas. After WW2, Rudolf separated itself from Adiddas to formed its own shoe company and wanted to name it "Ruda", and that obviously didn't sound coo. So, do you know what it was called instead? Puma. Yup, that's right....Puma and Adidas today are related, a rivalry that led to great lifestyle shoe making :) And here's another interesting note for you, during the 1969 Olympics, athelese were not allowed to receive endorsement money as a law set up by the committee. Insted, respective agents would leave envelopes witha few hundred dollars in the toilet for the athletes to pick up. Adidas won obviously because they had deeper pockets.
This little fact for me was found in the pages of Fortune magazine reviewing a new book out - Sneaker Wars. Sounds like a good read,eh? ;-)

warm up before you play! :)
yeah, badminton is fun but it wouldn't be as much fun without the friendships and relationships. :):)
i will ;)
yups. we're much waiting and warming the zone for u. come back!